Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Basil & Walnut Pesto

I wish my afore mentioned basil plants were fruitful enough to produce a batch of pesto, but luckily I have friends that have more basil than they know what to do with (they could wipe their tush with it, ew sorry). So I love making things like pesto because you can switch out any of the key ingredients and it still turns out delicious. Unfortunately, pine nuts are ridiculously expensive, and I don't think I've ever made a traditional pesto with them for that reason. I can tell you that sunflower seeds, walnuts, and almonds work just fine. Or if you don't have any basil lying around; cilantro, mint, parsely, spinach, kale, or any combination of those will be yummy. I do think that good olive oil, fresh garlic and lemon juice are clutch components to a good pesto, and salt and pepper of course. The rest is up to you, go nuts, and enjoy.









Poor pancho, hates the sound of the food processor or blender. Hurts his big ears.


No comments:

Post a Comment